Sunday 18 August 2013

let's all mindlessly complain about things that are actually good

HOW DARE a corporation charge for parking?
So, I went today to one of the Malls in the area, it's quite simply one of the most transited malls in my zone, and seriously one where people feel they should "hang out".

They decided to institute a new thing (as, I might add, most shopping centers now) which is mandatory parking charges; this is regardless of parking underground or not; underground parking was always charged for at a cost of ABOUT $0.75 an hour, and people (I know I did) gladly paid for it as cars were safer, secure and most importantly not at the mercy of the elements.

Now, they want to charge for the privilege of parking anywhere near the premises; and I am not only OK with that I agree wholeheartedly and welcome it.

Another mall did it, and people complained to the high heavens, I am actually amazed that they didn't go on strikes and boycotted the mall.  All because NO ONE wanted to pay $0.60 for 4 hours of parking.

Here's what people don't get.
"sorry bub, even though we saw everything, we're not responsible"

Free parking was never free.  You were welcome to worry as much as you wanted about your car getting burglarized, bumped into, crashed or vandalized before and the administration of the shopping centers shrugged off and said "well, it's free parking, we're not to blame or even have any responsibility in this matter".

Now, they are charging for the parking, NOW they can't just shrug and say "not my problem" anymore, not IT IS THEIR goddamn problem.

I welcome the extra charge, if this means that I drive up to a mall and CAN ACTUALLY park near an entrance because hundreds of non-consumer mall rats have no place to go now that daddy or mommy can't afford the $0.50 cents of parking, THAT makes me happy.

You go to a temple of consumerism and expect NOT to pay while walking around the hallways aimlessly and without any purpose?  Jesus people there are actually paying customers that have to turn around after 20 minutes because parking is just not an option.

I drove there today, it was BEAUTIFUL, they haven't started charging yet, but the gates are there, that's a deterrent for the vagrants if I've seen any.
Maybe I'm pushing it, but if you don't want to pay, don't go!


Will the Mall lose customers?  Not really, no, it will lose non-consumers, it will make sure that the people that go there actually are planning on staying with a purpose, and more importantly it will certifiably improve security for those of us who are quite willing to cough up the candy-bar worth of parking charges that come with it.

4 comments:

  1. I agree mostly with everything but there will be consequences, 1 this will mean that a lot of people will not go so willingly if they planned to stay 2 hours and consume say food or drinks, at the mall you will pay parking but at the bar at the other side of the street don't this will affect, and the ones that I think will most be affected movie theaters, depending on the charge people will not want to pay parking to go to a movie, movies are already expensive enough for a family of 3 or 4 that can add up to at $10plus for ticket without food if you add parking at a place that didn't charged for it you will start really thinking about pay per view the mall has it reasons I'm not passing judgement on them but some of the places will be affected

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with that, but it's 400c for 4 hours, that's less than most families throw away at a wachi during Sunday mass man, I get what you're saying but not paying for parking was not the deal breaker there.

    In the past it was 500c an hour for underground parking, right now we're seeing 400c for 4 hours. That's the equivalent of 4 Teja (newspaper) a couple of years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if that's the rate I don't see a big problem, you have to have a car to use the parking and that rate is nowhere near a expensive cost, btu what I want to know is if they (the mall) are willing to really take some responsability for that amount of money

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a couple of people who will be impacted, tho: most non-consumers DO spend money in the Food Courts and other food facilities there are, since they are just "walking around". And the Movies.

    But yeah, their house their rules.

    ReplyDelete